High-tea is one of the popular activities among the Singaporean, regardless of age group.
We often refer to people who can enjoy high-tea as “tai-tai” (only applicable for females) because many of a time, we hardly find time to enjoy cakes and tea. The way we say it, is to show how one have the luxury to enjoy life. It’s definitely not something bad, but rather something that people wish for.
The highlight of high-tea always comes with beautifully tiered-plates and a pot of tea. But if you’re at home, going simple is one way out. Bake these Lemon Tea Loaf cake and serve it with your favorite cup of tea.
I am pretty sure that this is one of the best cakes to go with tea.
Lemon Loaf Cake
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1⅓ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- zest of 3 large lemons
- 1¾ cup cake flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup heavy cream (room temperature)
- 5½ tbsp butter (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- Preheat oven at 180˚C. Butter and flour or line loaf pan (9 x 5 inch) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and salt till foamy and smoothly blended. Then whisk in the lemon zest. NOTE: Egg, sugar, salt mixture should not thicken.
- Sift flour and baking powder mix in 3 portions. For each portion, spoon them into sifter and incorporate them with the foamy egg mixture. Whisk the flour mix lightly, and the same is for the next two additions.
- Whisk in heavy cream, then switch to rubber spatula and quickly fold in melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes till the center of the loaf crowns and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a rack to cool.
I hope you like it :)